Benefits of Water During Exercise
The list of benefits of drinking water during exercise is endless and they are often underrated. From improved performance to higher energy levels, here are the benefits of drinking water during your workout and tips to make the most of it.
We sweat during most workouts, especially if there’s a lot of cardiovascular movement involved. As we sweat, our bodies lose a lot of water that is needed for optimal performance at the gym or during a workout. Drinking water during your training is essential if you want to make the most out of your workout.
According to Amanda Carlson, director of performance nutrition for Athletes’ Performance, “just losing 2% of your body weight in fluid can decrease performance by up to 25%.”
Make sure to compensate for the water lost during your workout by drinking
- At least 15 ounces of water one hour before your workout
- At least 8 ounces of water 15 minutes before your workout
- 8 ounces every 15 minutes during your workout
Injury & Pain Prevention
By drinking enough water, you not only increase your energy levels during your workout but also accelerate the recovery process once you’ve re-racked your weights. Staying hydrated during and after a workout gives your body the resources it needs to recover and will help avoid cramps during your workout.
Cools the Body
Staying hydrated during your workout gives your body a relieving and cooling effect. With your muscles working at full force, your heart rate increasing, and your adrenaline rushing, sometimes you just need to take a short break to catch your breath and rehydrate.
Ways to Stay Hydrated During Exercise
Now that you know the importance of drinking water during exercise, here are some simple tips to follow:
- Don’t wait until you’re thirsty. Make sure you drink enough water throughout the day
- Help keep your body temperature low with cold water
- Schedule your water breaks in between exercise sets so you don’t forget
- Eat water-rich fruits and vegetables before your workout
- Don’t exercise under the scorching hot sun
- Carry a bottle of water with you to the gym, class, or outdoor workout
The easiest way to remember to take your water bottle to the gym is to invest in one you’ll love to carry around! LOCH’s stainless steel bottles keep your beverages cold for up to 24 hours so you don’t have to worry about your water getting warm during an outdoor workout. LOCH’s bottles can be paired with recycled vegan leather straps so you can effortlessly carry them to and from the gym.
Still having trouble staying hydrated during exercise? Check out our post on How to Properly Hydrate for a Workout.